Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

WSPR spots local storage idea.

This is a question for the software developers, but please, anyone feel free to comment. Since we already have an option to autorun a wspr receiver I thought it would be a very good option to be able to detect if there is no local internet access and in that case to handle the logging a little differently. I know the decodes go into the current log file but they are mixed in with other logged data and I was thinking of something a little different. There could be several reasons this could be handy. wsprnet servers could be down or the local net could be down for any reason, or what I am interested in, I could take the KiwiSDR, a battery and an experimental RX antenna out far away from the city noise for an evaluation period where there may be no internet access. Upon returning, or once internet is re-established the decodes could be uploaded either automatically or through the control panel or some other means. What if the wspr decodes could go to a flash memory in the event of no network either on USB or SD card? If this functionality was added to the KiwiSDR software I would not need any laptop or Pi to save the decodes so it would really lighten my load. I think others who experience network outages might appreciate the idea as well, but feel free to respond with opinions, ideas or just support (or even resistance I guess if you have it) for the idea. As far as I can tell there is currently no stand alone wspr receiver available that can store wspr decodes for upload at a later time. Will the wsprnet even allow latent uploads? I don't know.

Best regards all...joe ve3vxo

Comments

• I guess I just answered one question for myself. WSPRnet.org does indeed allow latent uploads so the idea should work at least from that perspective.

Joe

• The wsprdaemon.org system does exactly what you describe. If it loses access to the internet it caches spots in local storage on the server. Once internet connectivity is restored it uploads the cached spots in batches of 1000 spots until the local cache is flushed, after which spots are uploaded in near real time.

• jksjks
    edited May 2021

The WSPR extension was the first of the Kiwi extensions developed. It was meant to highlight the concept of the KiwiSDR and the idea of plug-in extensions. It was never meant to be a complex, feature-rich application.

Fortunately we have Rob, Christoph and many others who have come along and pushed the limits of the Kiwi, in ways I could never do, by adding external applications and servers.

• Your wspr extension is still the best view into how the wspr protocol works. But as WSJT-x has extended that protocol, there is no way the Kiwi SW could hope to keep up. Nor can any BB CPU process all the new WSPR modes. By implementing kiwircorder you have opened up a world of new functionality.

• Just for the record: kiwiclient / kiwirecorder et al was not mine. I just added a few bits along the way. Originally written by Dmitry, mostly in conjunction with writing kiwifax I believe. Then Christoph greatly enhanced it including adding the GPS timestamps necessary so it could be used by the TDoA backend on KiwiSDR.com. Many other contributors as well.