The KiwiSDR 2 online store is open for orders! Please visit kiwisdr.nz

** FIXED ** Flakey DC Plug on brand new Kiwi

edited December 2020 in Problems Now Fixed

Serial number 48XX - if the male DC plug is moved, jiggled or nudged - the Kiwi dies.

Moving it again brings it back to life - have confirmed this with numerous DC Plugs -

This Kiwi is new and just out of the box - is there any warranty process or should I just try and fix it myself?

Comments

• Update - NOT all DC Plugs are the same -- I found one with slightly different dimensions - and it works 100% now -

Can anyone reveal the EXACT DC Plug that should be used?

• edited December 2020

I believe 5.5mm OD 2.1mm ID

2.5mm ID is fairly common and will cause issues.

I keep a few adapters from universal power supplies to check and/or adapt.

Regards

Stu

johnk5mo
  • jksjks
    edited December 2020

Yeah, so this has been documented for about 4 years now (first two paragraphs): http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-power

• edited December 2020

The "Quickstart" if printed (A4) is about 37 pages now.

How about an FAQ (forum) post with the most frequently asked questions that could have a short answer but then also point to the relevant QS sections or helpful forum posts.

some FAQ candidates

1. Why is it not responsive five minutes after first boot?
    2. PSU?
    3. I've broken the software, how to recover?
    4. How to edit.....bands, markers

FYI The forum links in the quickstart are to the older forum.

njc
  • The "Quickstart" if printed (A4) is about 37 pages now.

So? Who prints the whole thing out? I agree the website format is in desperate need of improvement, but that's a separate issue.

Also, "quickstart" appears in the URL for historical reasons and cannot be changed due to being embedded in (now) read-only content. But the document never says "QuickStart" internally. It's titled "Operating Information". The only QuickStart doc is the printed one inside the shipping box. It has its own PDF link: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/quickstart.pdf

How about an FAQ (forum) post with the most frequently asked questions that could have a short answer but then also point to the relevant QS sections or helpful forum posts.

No. Just improve the current FAQ. Add a "top 10" to the existing FAQ index perhaps. What would I do otherwise? Remove the old FAQ? Have two FAQs? Point the old to the new? How many new users read the forum versus the website? So many ill-considered questions here.

FYI The forum links in the quickstart are to the older forum.

Thanks. I thought I had done this. Fixed now.

johnk5mo
  • It's great information and I can think of few posts on the forum that weren't already well covered by the documentation. Support better than anything I've purchased for ages, genuinely.

Below is why I posted.

There is an FAQ at work for customers, it is surprising which entries get the most hits, they are of the level "turning it on", "using the mouse", these people can absolutely do the stuff they check, but still they check. Something weird happens with technical items not used before, even if you have perfectly reasonable instructions, first time users are a special case.

"Before you plug it in" page? limited to a few basic points like it is important to start with a stable power supply, with the correct connector, as the board will enter software update mode as soon as it is powered on (with a working internet connection). Links to the specific section as "more details".