Aricebo - 5125KHz

Aricebo was operating again last night, putting a very strong carrier (but with weak 120Hz sidebands) into the UK on 5125KHz.

It was a LOTstronger into KP4CA http://kp4ca.ddns.net:8073/ in Anasco, Puerto Rico ?as you would expect :-)

No sweeps were observed this time, however it looks like there may be more opportunities over the next week or so.

It's a pity that there is so little up to date information about this on the web, but I have found an operational schedule.

Look up reference T1193 running up to and on the 15th of June and again commencing Sat 29th of June

http://naic.edu/vscience/schedule/scedfra2.htm

Note that AST is equal to UTC -4

LST (Local Sidereal Time) could be anything :-)

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
Powernumpty

Comments

• I just realised that I got the project reference incorrect, as I'd worked out the wrong time from the schedule.

So the final session is now up and running until I estimate 18:00 UTC 14th June 2019

I can now hear the carrier being swept on the Anasco, Puerto Rico WEB SDR http://kp4ca.ddns.net:8073/ but not on mine yet.

They are using the dish.

Simulation and modeling results show that both arrays have
    VSWRs less than 2:1 over a 100 kHz bandwidth no matter what the
    state of the other passive array’s feed is (shorted, open, or terminated).
    The gain at 5.1 MHz was 22.2 dBi. When fed with 600 kW of power,
    this corresponds to an ERP of 99.6 MW. At 8.175 MHz, the gain was
    25.5 dBi corresponding to an ERP of 212.9 MW. If the array is phased
    to achieve circular polarization of either RHC or LHC, the crosspolarization from the opposite mode was above 27 dB for both
    frequencies.

http://www.naic.edu/~astro/ao50/Arecibo_50th_Paper_Breakall_revised_Oct_23_2013.pdf

Here's the correct reference and summary of work.

General Category: Astronomy
    Observation Category: Ionosphere
    Total Time Requested: 24 Hours
    Minimum Useful Time:
    Proposal Title: Natural Analogs Via Ionospheric Experimental Research (NAVIER)
    ABSTRACT:
    This proposal is in collaboration with the planned NRL Probing Regions via Ionospheric Modi?cation (PRIM)
    experiment, the goal is to study the physics of plasma irregularities created by the Arecibo HF Heater and their
    impact on HF communications waveforms. MITRE will be providing an advanced HF transmitter and receiver pair
    as well as standard HF radios to study the impact of arti?cial ?eld-aligned irregularities (AFRIs) on the HF signal
    propagation. The locations of transmit and receive sites will be the Dominican Republic and St. Thomas
    respectively. This a?ords a near-to-perpendicular signal propagation path with respect to the geomagnetic ?eld
    lines over Arecibo, as shown in Figure 1. The outcomes of this experiment will include investigation of the physics
    of the disturbed ionosphere, as well as a large-scale data collection and analysis on the impacts of heater AFRIs on
    HFnear vertical incidence skywave (NVIS) propagation.

Name Institution E-mail Phone Student
    Edlyn V. Levine MITRECorporation evlevine@... 412-7265480 no
    Remote Observing Request
    X Observer will travel to AO
    Remote Observing
    In Absentia (instructions to oper-
    ator)
    Instrument Setup
    430 Xmit
    Atmospheric Observation Instruments:
    Tilt-Photometer Spectrophotometer Fabry-Perot Ionosonde Lidar
    Description of Observer Equipment: MITRE will provide a Digisonde ionospheric sounder for 1
    deployment near to the Arecibo facility. MITRE will appreciate the AO support to deploy the instrument
    Special Equipment or setup: The ISR will be the primary instrument as well as our own
    diagnostics. The other instruments are a backup.
    RFI Considerations
    Frequency Ranges Planned

Sweep rate is 100mS occupying 26KHz.

Scope and Spectrum plots attached but I was only able to sample in a 10KHz BW.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
    HB9TMC