New Kiwi no access to admin on network

At first, I couldn't find the new Kiwi on the network, as Chrome got stuck on "Finding your local IP address", while Edge added "TypeError: Object doesn't support property or method 'createDataChannel'.
Eventually I found its IP in the router's DHCP client list.
So, I could connect, and it runs on the local network. But if I try to connect as admin, I get the error message shown in the jpg. I also can not connect with http://kiwisdr.local:8074/admin. If I do the same with my other Kiwi, there is no trouble. Software 1.287. I changed port no to 8074 when I got it so not to confuse with the other Kiwi. Is that where the problem is?

Attachments:
https://forum.kiwisdr.com/uploads/Uploader/75/a0969c0e5e7704d354e5e59091f1a7.jpg

Comments

• jksjks
    edited May 2019
    For future readers: the first error mentioned is a result of running kiwisdr.com/scan
    The Kiwi scan utility has never worked on Safari and now it appears it no longer works on Chrome/Edge. It still works on Firefox, for me at least. The scan code has to use some magic to find the local ip address and ever-increasing browser security changes are preventing this.

The second error (the error in the attachment) is very interesting to me. I would really, really like to see the Kiwi log for more information (you'd have to log into the Beagle directly). People have reported this problem in the past and swore that the Kiwi and machine running the browser were on the same local network. But this error can only occur if they are not. So I added code to display the ip of the connecting client.

So here is a clear case of them both being on the same local network yet the check is failing. So there is obviously a bug someplace. It shouldn't have anything to do with the Kiwi being on port 8074. But who knows..
  • Downloaded FF, and it finds the first one (192.168.1.10/8073) on every scan, but it doesn't find 192.168.1.101/8074 on any scan. I then disconnected the first one, but still no cigar on the other. I then disconnected and reconnected both. The new Kiwi went into 1.289 update, but when done, no change. I can still access the new kiwi from 192.168.1.101:8074, and at last I actually got access to 192.168.1.101:8074/admin in Chrome! Still undetected on the scan in FF.
  • jksjks
    edited May 2019
    The scanner works again on Chrome as of a few minutes ago (it will say v1.4 on the top line instead of v1.3). As mentioned in the scanner instructions it is not 100% reliable due to limitations in the scanning technique. So running it on FF may not find the Kiwi all the time although it should find it eventually. But not finding it doesn't indicate a problem with the Kiwi.

Are you now able to connect to 192.168.1.101:8074/admin consistently from both Chrome and FF?
  • Scan 1.4 did not detect the Kiwi. I decided to fire up the Kiwi from scratch (memory card) and await complete update, so it will take until tomorrow or so. No rush on this one. Thanks for commenting so far. If I remember correctly, at some point you're able to access this one?
  • Finally! Spotted both on FF and Chrome. I kept port 8073 on both, that's possibly the only change I know of.

Attachments:
    https://forum.kiwisdr.com/uploads/Uploader/6f/3cb284997e3630b9f77f6e7bacdcc3.jpg
  • Okay, but again, the fact that they are not reliably detected by the scanner doesn't mean much. Except that it's annoying when you're trying to determine the local ip. Either initially or because your router DHCP keeps changing the address. What is much more interesting is if you can connect to them reliably once you know the ips -- both the user and admin pages.

Are you wanting to run them both using the proxy service simultaneously? I'm realizing just now that the proxy doesn't support more than one Kiwi per public ip address currently. I will look into if this can be changed.
  • Okay, I have a fix for running multiple Kiwis using the proxy when sitting behind a single ip/router. I can send this out in an update when needed.
  • I never reflected if the proxy could (or should) be common or not. I do want to have both public, with different names (today's ArcticSDR and the new being KongSDR). The latter will not go online until I have the fiber connection ok, probably late August. That said, a fiber connection would probably allow me to have a fixed public ip, eliminating the need for a proxy?
  • jksjks
    edited May 2019
    Hopefully your new fiber connection will give you a fixed ip. Or at least allow for DDNS/DUC which I think we had determined the current 3G/4G connection would not.

It's not the case that just because you're using the proxy that the Kiwi is visible publicly. Those are still two different settings. You'd just have to pick a hostname for the second non-public Kiwi that would be difficult for someone to guess.

There are quite a few people running multiple Kiwis at a single location. And close to 100 proxied Kiwis (public and non-public). So I'm a little surprised this issue hadn't come up until now.