Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Inactivity time limit

Hi,

I've been thinking about the Inactivity time limit.

Would it be possible to vary a user time limit depending upon the number of users ?

For example I've noticed that during the week I may only have a few users at a time and they don't really need to have any time limit applied.

However at the weekend it's fully occupied for most of the the daytime, so a limit does need to be applied.

Maybe a new limit could be provided so that when the KiWi is fully occupied and when a new user tries to connect, if any users have been connected (not a period of inactivity) for longer than a pre-defined period they could be kicked ?

This may also allow more TDoA's if a KiWi would otherwise be fully occupied.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Comments

• Interesting idea! But to begin with, do you really need to time out sessions as long as there is still one public slot available? Then only when all public slots are full would it need to start enforcing the timeout.

Also I guess it would make sense too that only one session at a time, the oldest, gets timed out.

However in effect in some cases it means that someone will get booted by someone else connecting, and that might feel a bit unfriendly ¯\(°_o)/¯
  • @linkfanel

"interesting idea! But to begin with, do you really need to time out sessions as long as there is still one public slot available? Then only when all public slots are full would it need to start enforcing the timeout."

Yes that's the point I was trying to make.

"Also I guess it would make sense too that only one session at a time, the oldest, gets timed out."

Yes, but only if they exceed a set limit.

"However in effect in some cases it means that someone will get booted by someone else connecting, and that might feel a bit unfriendly"

I don't think it's any less friendly than some users sitting on one frequency for several hours and in doing so deny others the opportunity to use the KiWi. It wouldn't boot casual users, just any that have been using the KiWi for longer than a pre-defined time period and only if all the RX channels are busy.

My problem is that at the weekends I get a lot of pirate broadcasters using my KiWi to monitor their own transmissions for the whole day (or days).

I don't mind them doing this if the KiWi is not too busy (as is the case during most of the week), but at the weekend a few users log into the KiWi early and stay there until the IP timeout kicks in. Some may occasionally try to log back in with a new IP address, but at least this gives new users a brief opportunity to connect whilst the IP's are being swapped over.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ
  • my issue is I like to leave a local radio station going in my lab but it times me out even though I'm the admin :)
  • jksjks
    edited September 2018
    If you're connected from the same local network as the Kiwi you should be exempt from the various restrictions (e.g. Kiwi on 192.168.1.100 and your pc on 192.168.1.7)