Remote syslog

I assume it is pretty trivial to write the Kiwi log files to an external server?
I've a basic syslog server here that I point my routers and other devices to so I can see what happened just before a reboot.

I was about to have a go then thought with extensions like "WSPR-autorun" it might be a nice GUI addition?

Comments

• jksjks
    edited May 2018
    That could be done I suppose. I spent a few minutes looking at it. Do you just use openlog() with a facility of LOG_LOCAL0 and then put a rule in /etc/rsyslog.conf that says
    local0.* @ip_address:514

for UDP delivery? How important would it be to have a separate rule for WSPR-only messages?
  • Sorry I missed this reply, I will take another look soon.
    I tried some unsuccessful options from other sources but will try this.

Thanks
    Stu
  • If its linux and it has rsyslog loaded on it, yeah you should be able to just edit the config file and add the remote location. I just wonder if "upgrades" impact anything however.
  • edited July 2018
    I did try and yes it is normally simple on Linux boxes so not sure where I failed the first time (did try one visit a couple of lines as didn't want to break anything), you could be right about the update, good point.
    I do have some fairly strict rules locally on the router so I needed to check those too (due to some Chinese security cameras on a subnet I drop a lot of traffic).
  • OK went back to this after seeing some weird control connection commands logged from China getting hidden in the log by UK sun up.
    Not saying this is the best way but its what I did and works to some level.

"nano /etc/rsyslog.conf"
    Added under the rules part - logging to my server IP (example IP = 192.168.111.111)

#Remote Syslog test
    *.=info;*.=notice;*.=warn;\
    auth,authpriv.none;\
    cron,daemon.none;\
    mail,news.none @192.168.111.111

Save Ctrl-O

Then "service syslog restart"

I'm not sure if this does anything with WSPR but as I've gone over to a remote Pi for deeper WSPR processing that is no longer my focus, I am interested in people trying to hack the Kiwi.