Client Browser/OS issue

edited March 2018 in Problems and Issues
System: X86 Desktop, Linux Mint, Chromium Browser.  I have been using it for years, no problems

Scenario: a few windows open, mail, browser etc. One browser tab opened to Kiwi Admin GPS. After many hours the mouse gets logy then eventually stalls as does whole system. Reboot needed.

3 occurrences over several days while watching the shadow map

Comments

• jksjks
    edited March 2018
    A browser/Javascript memory (allocation) leak? In a shell window start the Linux command "vmstat 3" and watch the free memory count. It will move around a bunch. But if there is a long-term trend towards zero, and the swap counters "si" and "so" start to go crazy then there is a problem. The automatic garbage collector in Javascript is supposed to keep this from happening.

Also if the interrupt counter "in" becomes much higher than usual that can account for a laggy mouse.

• I tried a W7/Chrome box today, no issue noted. I'll try what you suggest above as the evening here wears on.

• Seems like the browsers are suffering a lack of quality control lately. Not much I can do about that..

• It would be interesting to know how another browser performs in this situation.

• from fresh start, minimal apps ran, happened again after 11 hours. Trying Chrome 
  • after 10 hrs, Chrome test OK. Chromium appears to be the problem

• Well, that would be in agreement with the other problems lately that seem to be browser/Javascript issues.

• Chrome did same after 17 hours. Next Up Firefox
  • While it's likely Broswer related, I'll give this additional background.  I never started longterm monitoring of GPS until I added my new antenna which sits and has 8-12 acquired birds.  4 hours in with Firefox, still OK
  • 24 hours of Firefox, no problems
  • days of Firefox, still good.