Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Confusion with external access after Comcast modem upgrade

edited March 2018 in Problems Now Fixed
My problem is fortunately not as bad as I thought for the past day since it appears that other users than myself can connect to my Kiwi but I can now only connect with kiwisdr.local.  Yesterday I installed a new Comcast modem upgrade and as expected my public IP changed, but that is updated in the dyndns service.  I found that I could no longer connect with either the dyndns or direct public IP although the test for open ports showed they were open:

I was wondering if I still needed the reverse proxy service for some strange reason but just a few minutes ago I noticed that there are two users connected.  I do not have a clue why I am not able to connect with the public IP.  Since my Kiwi appears to be on the network for others that is fine, but if anyone knows a possible simple reason of what I might be doing wrong, it would be interesting to learn.  

Bewildered,

Chuck

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 18.0px; font: 15.0px Verdana; color: #3447e1}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Verdana; color: #3447e1}
span.s1 {text-decoration: underline}
span.s2 {color: #009587}
span.s3 {color: #000000; background-color: #e5fffe}

Comments

• Oops, I do not see a way to edit my post to clean up the extra "stuff" from where I pasted in the output from the port test, sorry!
  • Do you mean connecting to your Kiwi on your local network, from a machine on your local network, using the Kiwi's public ip address? That is only possible if your router/modem supports (and has enabled) something called "hairpinning", aka NAT loopback. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpinning This has likely changed if you have a new router/modem.

• Yes, that is exactly what I mean.  It was how I normally connected.  So at least it is not an actual problem and it is good to have an explanation for the change.  For the fun of it I will look for a user setting since I have a number of bookmarks I have used in the past.

Many thanks John
  • Since your public ip is dynamic, and subject to change at any time, why would you have bookmarks tied to it? Just use kiwisdr.local, or if that doesn't work due to limitations with your OS (Windows) try and setup your router to bind the MAC address of the Kiwi to a fixed local ip address. So the local ip address is the same forever.

I'm sorry this is such a hassle but that's how network admin is sometimes..

• I used the dyndns so I would catch it if the dyndns did not update a change when I use one to select a band.  No big deal though.  If I start noticing there are never any connections, that will let me know and I can fix it.  I do not trust the automatic dyn updater, but fortunately my public IP rarely changes, it goes for years without change.  I did change my bookmarks to use the local access though.

I do use reserved IP settings in the router for all of my Rasp Pi and the Kiwi etc., much easier to keep track of things.  I had to reset them in the new router, but magically the new router has fixed another very strange problem (unrelated to the Kiwi) that I have for about two years, so it was worth the pain of installing the new one.

Thanks, and no hassle, I love the Kiwi.