Can't Find my KiwiSDR [after change to static ip address]

edited February 2018 in Problems Now Fixed
Hi All -- I recently decided to "clean up" my network and start assigning IP addresses to all of my devices in a more systematic way. I got to my Kiwi and used the web interface to assign a static IP. Upon restart, however, it has disappeared. I can't locate it to save my life. I've tried every IP address on my network, including using the scanner from the kiwisdr website and still no luck. My question is, anything else I can do? If not, how do I do a factory reset so I can reconfigure it again.

Thanks for the help. 

Comments

• Re-flash it from the supplied micro sd card.

• Damn... I was hoping you weren't going to say that. 
  • jksjks
    edited February 2018
    Well, okay. Hook up a USB cable from a pc to the BBG micro-USB. Follow the instructions below and then ssh/PuTTY over the USB using ip 192.168.7.2
    Once there take a look at the file /etc/network/interfaces, and compare to interfaces.bak, and see what the difference in ip address is. Warning: you have to install a USB networking driver on your pc for this to work. This can cause you some (or lots of) grief on Windows.

• Also, did you _reboot_ the Beagle after the change? Not just restart the Kiwi server software. You get a blue "Beagle reboot" button in the network tab of the admin page after you press the confirmation button after making the change to a static address.

If you don't reboot the Ethernet interface stays at the old (current) ip address. But you must have rebooted if you tried a scan and it didn't show up..

• jksjks
    edited February 2018
    And just to double-check, using the current release I went through the procedure (on the network tab of the admin page) of switching from DHCP to a static ip and it worked fine. Be sure the netmask and gateway fields are set correctly. For a typical ip of 192.168.1.100 the netmask would be 255.255.255.0 and the gateway 192.168.1.1 You can check these on another computer first in case your network is slightly different (e.g. smaller netmask, different gateway/router address).

• Tried to get to it via the USB option and my mac. I'm fairly technical and still couldn't get there so I just re-flashed it. It's currently updating itself but at least I can now get to it. Thanks for all the help. 
  • Okay, sorry about that. I got the Mac USB networking to work a long time ago, but haven't tried it recently.
    I have a little idea for this problem I'm going to try..

• v1.174 now displays the ip address, assigned by DHCP or set statically, in the LEDs: http://kiwisdr.com/quickstart/index.html#id-leds

krjones
  • That is awesome and really helpful. Thank you for doing that.