Spectator mode for when all open receivers are busy

I envision a behavior thus:

When calling up a station to the browser, if all the openly available receivers are in use, the new visitor is given a choice of which of the existing sessions they'd like to watch. They'd be duplicated on everything happening on the receiver they've selected, but would have no control over the session. One of the users chasing utility stations?  Great—I might learn some tricks. Another station sitting on NAVTEX in the mediterranean? That's a great candidate for sharing.

Mind, one day, it might even be that the spectators watching are kept in a queue so if one of the controlling users leaves, the longest-waiting spectator is given a message box and encouraged to try reloading the page to become the controlling user.  (Seems safer than automatically assigning to control to someone who may not be sitting and waiting on it.)

Administrators would probably need to set the maximum number of spectators, (to limit the total number of streaming outputs), and they may decide whether or not password-protected receivers are available to spectators.

That's this morning's daydream. Thanks very much!

Ross

Comments

• John will surely answer but remote "watchers" load the system as much as normal users I believe
  • OOooh!  That's a brilliant file for the bugs and wish list!  Thank you for it.  I've spent months trying to work out this software through the source code in the OpenWebRx GitHub respository. I thought this project was abysmally documented. I've only learned this week about the fork some time ago.

Y'see…. The links in the magenta boxes on the page openings are non-functional in Safari, Safari Technology Preview, Chrome, or Firefox on the MacMinis, iMacs, and MacBook Pros we've got here. A web search for OpenWebRx doesn't actually make it clear that one needs to come to Kiwisdr (let alone Valent F(x)) to get the real information.  The only link on the receiver that seems to work is the one that says "Powered by OpenWebRx"—perhaps you can understand how it's made for a strange lack of perspective.

I'll check the bug/feature document, but perhaps that should be the next thing to address.
  • Sorry about that. I'm surprised someone didn't mention this earlier. I had a complaint from a guy that the close box on the magenta "readme" panel was obscured due to the arraignment of the panels with his very small screen. So I made it such that a click anywhere in the panel did a close. But of course I did it incorrectly and overrode the action of all the links. Fixed in v1.161..

• No worries! And thank you very much!  I'm eager and happy to get familiar with the new documentation and sources.