Second build sold out. Message will appear here when store is ready for third build ordering.

Don't Understand How to Set Up My KiwiSDR [we just used the proxy to simplify setup]

edited January 2018 in Problems Now Fixed
I'm completely lost.  I know nothing about network settings and such.  I looked at the setup instructions before I ordered, and thought they looked complete, but now that I have it in front of me I'm completely baffled by the jargon.  I'm not a network administrator and I'm not a programmer.

I have managed to find my SDR on my network (if you could call it that) using the utility on the KiwiSDR website.  From there I'm able to use the receiver and tune around.  I consider that a triumph.

My router has this DCHP, and I understand about static and dynamic IP addresses.  I called my ISP's tech support and they couldn't or wouldn't tell me whether I had a static or dynamic address, which I found discouraging.

There's a port forwarding tab on my router's configuration software but I don't get what it means.  If the KiwiSDR wants to use 8073 and it's in the address you use to connect to my SDR then what is there to forward?

The instructions mention NAT (Network Address Table?).  I don't see anything like that in my router's setup software.  There are also discussions about MAC addresses (another address??), UPnP, DUC, Proxies (and reverse proxies).  It makes me dizzy.

I've been going through the instructions line by line but this is way above my head.  Is there a KiwiSDR For dummies website somewhere?  If I can't get this working in a reasonable length of time I'll put it up for sale here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ken alexander
VE3HLS

Comments

• jksjks
    edited January 2018
    Hi Ken. Let's bypass all this nonsense and use the reverse proxy. The instructions are pretty simple: http://proxy.kiwisdr.com

Forget about the proxy service cost. I'm letting everyone use it for free at present.

If you really want I can talk you through the router stuff, but I think it's just easier to get things running as quickly as possible using the proxy.

Cheers, John, ZL/KF6VO, KiwiSDR

• I know how you feel Ken, if you're at level zero at networking. I've been there myself and I'm still far from comfortable with network issues. The proxy server solved my problems with the KongSDR, and has been working 100 %. There is no KiwiSDR for dummies site, but to get into the basic principles of networking there is indeed a "network for dummies" book available on the Internet (how ironic is that...)

Bjarne
  • Thanks Bjarne.  I'll be looking for that book!

No on to complete the setup tasks John provided me with!  Wish me luck!
  • OK, I pasted my API user key into the Admin page.  Below it asks for a Host Name.  I didn't get a host name.  Just the API user key.  
  • jksjks
    edited January 2018
    As the instruction say, the hostname is one that you choose to go at the beginning of the proxy.kiwisdr.com URL. So if you want your Kiwi to be known as ve3hls then enter that in the host name field (connect tab of the admin page, down at the bottom "reverse proxy configuration" section). After the setup is complete you will be able to access your Kiwi from the Internet (i.e. outside your local network) by using the ve3hls.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/ URL.

Click on this URL to go directly to the proxy setup instructions: http://proxy.kiwisdr.com

• OK, I don't remember choosing one before but I went with ve3hls and clicked,  Now it says New account, registration successful.  I'll keep reading.  Thanks!
  • jksjks
    edited January 2018
    I can access ve3hls.proxy.kiwisdr.com:8073/ fine. Nice VLF/LF reception. At first glance looks like you're hearing France, Iceland and Italy in addition to the usual suspects.

Some noise at HF. Maybe BPL? If you look carefully 15m and 12m have notches in the noise spectrum. But the lower bands (e.g. 20m) do not. Strange.

• Wow!  It works!  Thank you John.

Does this get me listed on SDR.hu?  I went there and don't see my receiver listed.  I see something about a Open web rx.  Is that another thing I have to do?  It talks about installing something on my Linux box.  I only have windows computers.
  • Wait until later John and you'll be able to watch my landlady's washing machine wipe out the entire band!

I'll be moving to Thailand in about 6 months.  This where I will be setting up the receiver permanently.  I'm in a very noisy location here.
  • jksjks
    edited January 2018
    Getting listed on sdr.hu is one more step. On the "sdr.hu" tab of the admin page fill in the appropriate fields (the API field being the most important) and set the upper left switch to "yes". If the "sdr.hu registration status" comes back "SUCCESS (update)" then you should get listed in the next 5 minutes or so.

The "Location (lat, lon)" field is important so your location (dithered for privacy) will be correct on the http://sdr.hu/map and http://rx.linkfanel.net maps.

• jksjks
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for making your Kiwi available on sdr.hu! 

When you have time also customize the fields on the "webpage" tab.

• Will do.  Thanks again John!

Ken