The forum is read-only currently.

Problem with audio - Chrome [fixed, Windows 10 settings issue]

edited January 2020 in Problems Now Fixed
I've just encountered a new problem with the Google Chrome browser Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) running under Win 10 (64-bit).

When I first connect to a KiWi I can hear audio as normal.

If I then connect to a new KiWi there is no longer any audio, if I reconnect to the first KiWi there is still no audio.

A browser refresh doesn't fix it, but closing the browser and reopening it fixes it for the first KiWi, but any others are silent.

I used to be able to open multiple KiWi's on multiple tabs and be able to hear all of them simultaneously, but this is no longer possible.

It all worked fine yesterday and I'm running a mix of v1.364 & v1.367 4 and 8ch mode, so it's unlikely to be a KiWi bug.

All other browsers still work normally, so I suspect this may be a Chrome update bug or some other security feature 'upgrade'.

Anyone else noticed it or is it just me ?

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Comments

  • Seems Chrome is the new Internet Explorer unfortunately..
  • edited January 2020
    Not exactly the test you need Martin as I don't use Google Chrome browser as such, but I am running the Brave browser which is built on the open source Chromium (from Google) - currently running Version 1.2.42 Chromium: 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) - the same as your Google Chrome, but in 64-bit Linux.

    I have four tabs open with four different KiwiSDR's all providing audio (and waterfall) as expected.

    Maybe try clicking the "Not Secure" to the left of the URL and ensure that Sound is set to "Allow" - although mine are are set to "Automatic"

    rgds

    Andy G3TDJ
  • Marin,
    I've got multiple browser with audio on the same KiwiSDR. Chrome : Version 79.0.3945.117 (Official Build) (64-bit) running on OpenSUSE, "openSUSE Leap", VERSION="15.1"
    Ron
    KA7U
  • Hi Ron & Andy,

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I'd already tried the obvious security settings, but they were OK and the problem persists.

    Maybe I'll just swap over to Firefox, as Chrome seems to be becoming increasing problematic to use, a bit like Windows itself :-(

    Regards,

    Martin - G8JNJ
  • The issue was not associated with just the KiWi or cookies and I subsequently found that it affected other websites with audio enabled too.

    After a lot of messing around I discovered that the problem was associated with the settings in Windows 10 App volume and device preferences.

    Google had somehow got a different soundcard defined as the default, but for some reason the first browser session to be opened used the default device and any subsequent sessions opened the device defined for that application.

    Reverting all back to the default fixed the problem (until the next time).

    There are many different ways of defining the soundcard to be used in Win 10 and associated applications, so I'm not surprised they occasionally get out of sync with each other.

    I'm not sure what caused it on this occasion, although it could have been associated with connecting a USB headset I occasionally use for Skype.

    Regards,

    Martin - G8JNJ
    PowernumptyKA7U
Sign In or Register to comment.